Sunday, November 17, 2013

My Astrodome Solution

I have fond memories from my childhood (I think I was seven years old when the Dome was opened for business) when we all piled into our car and drove to the brand-new Houston Astrodome, the Eighth Wonder of the World,  from Brookshire for a tour. The tour was amazing, the Dome amenities were state-of-the-art, and I was overwhelmed that people could build such a fantastic building.  I returned many times for baseball games, football games (including a Texas Aggie game that started late one Saturday night and didn't end until the wee hours of Sunday morning), rodeos, and concerts.

Fast forward to today.

Harris County voters (of which I am not one) have sealed the fate of the Astrodome. My suggestion is late, but I'll give it a chance anyway.

Strip away the sides, fill in the field to ground level, but leave the support columns and the entire roof.  When complete, sell "Shadow of the Dome" premium parking. This would preserve the iconic dome while giving the city of Houston what is wants and desperately needs: more places to park!

I guess it's too late for me to weigh in on the preservation of AstroWorld . . . . .

No comments: