Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Automatic Writing - Thinking About It

Currently, I'm reading "Finding Your Element:  How to Discover Your Talents and Passions and Transform Your Life" by Ken Robinson, with Lou Aronica. I've read the first chapter so far, and I'm impressed with what I've read. I already have some ideas for teacher professional development, coaching, and mentoring.

One of the ideas discussed in the book is called "automatic writing."  Not the mystical, psychic, spiritual form of automatic writing, but writing with free association and no planning or editing.  The book discusses that this can be done in private or in a public forum. I am considering doing it in blog post format for all to see.

Before I take this plunge, would any of you like to weigh in on the idea or any experience you have with automatic writing? I would appreciate the input.

My only fear about doing automatic writing in a public space is that I will subconsciously be policing my thoughts and, by extension, what I write. Probably not a purist view of automatic writing, but I think it will be the most enlightening for me (and, it is my hope, for you, too).

(random picture, no hidden meaning . . . maybe . . . )

No comments: